Looking to join our professional team? Here's where you can look through our current opportunities, learn how to apply, and find our featured jobs.
We welcome general applications and résumés, which may be sent to the address below. Applicants should send their complete résumés, including names of references, as well as a cover letter indicating personal strengths by email, fax or mail. No phone enquiries, please.
Applications may be submitted to:
Human Resources Manager Bylands Nurseries Ltd.
1600 Byland Rd. West Kelowna, BC V1Z 1H6
Production Supervisor (Bilingual) – Container Fields
Located in the beautiful, sunny Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Bylands Nurseries Ltd. is a producer of premium plants offering one of the most diverse and complete mixes of hardy plants available in North America. Bylands encompasses over 500 acres of land and grows in excess of 4 million plants annually. We grow a full range of trees, shrubs, evergreens, vines, perennials, annuals and roses. Bylands has been recognized with numerous industry awards for outstanding business practices and environmental stewardship. Bylands has an excellent reputation for our water recycling and conservation practices.
Bylands is currently seeking a Production Supervisor to lead a crew of predominately Spanish speaking, seasonal nursery workers in the Container Fields. We are looking for an experienced supervisor with a horticulture or agriculture background and strengths in leading people.
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Production Supervisor – Container Fields will work with seasonal staff to ensure that all plants are grown to the highest possible quality while balancing economic, efficiency, environmental and health and safety standards.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be expected to:
- Plan, organize, direct and control the operations of Bylands container fields
- Establish the environmental conditions required to grow trees, shrubs, flowers and plants, and design planting and care schedules accordingly
- Supervise and participate with staff in planting, transplanting, feeding and spraying stock; Identifying and control of insect, disease and weed problems
- Supervise, direct and train employees in day-to-day activities ofthe seasonal working staff (SAWP Program) as well as set work schedules, timesheets, coaching and orientation. This requires speaking fluent Spanish and English
- Implement the crop cycles of the production plan to ensure continual production of sufficient plant material to meet anticipated future sales demand
- Work closely with the Shipping Coordinator, including helping with any logistical and supply chain needs of the organization
- Maintain all yards, buildings and equipment in a clean, safe and good working order that reflects Bylands Nurseries in a professional manner to the team and public
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment through the effective implementation of the Bylands Health and Safety policies and procedures
To achieve this, you will be working to ensure the best team possible. This includes forecasting and scheduling, hiring, training, evaluating and developing employees.You will also ensure the safety of employees through compliance with Environmental and Health and Safety regulations and maintaining an attitude that all incidents are preventable. Your work will enable the company to continue supplying high quality plants to our customers and achieve our planned growth of the Production Department.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be fluent in Spanish and English
- Highly motivated, self-starter with excellent communication and leadership skills
- A degree in Horticulture/Agronomy with Apprenticeship or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of three years of related nursery experience - supply chain an asset
- Demonstrated skills in time management, scheduling, supervision of teams
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and nursery production/inventory management systems
- Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate
- Available to work evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as able to work physically in a role requiring extended periods of time standing, walking, bending and reaching in a wide range of weather conditions (hot, cold, wet, windy). As this is a farming environment, long hours will be required and days off will be extremely limited during the peak seasons.
How to Apply: Applications may be submitted to:
Human Resources Manager
Bylands Nurseries Ltd.
1600 Byland Rd. West Kelowna, BC V1Z 1H6
Telephone: 250-769-4466 Fax: 250-769-5566 Email: email@example.com
Note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Please note that only those candidates being selected for interviews will be contacted.